Archives / Search ›

NCIDpop 0.9.15 released

Last year I worked on NCIDpop, a network caller ID client originally written by Alexei Kosut. I recently spent a day or so doing some further hacking on NCIDpop to fix problems I and others had noticed. My changes have now been incorporated in an official release.

What’s new:

  • Address Book reverse lookup support: NCIDpop will display the caller’s name, phone number label (e.g., “mobile”) and picture instead of the caller ID if the information is available in the Mac OS X address book. Also, when you double-click a caller entry in the call log, it’ll open the corresponding Address Book card rather than doing a reverse lookup.
  • Don’t reformat non-numeric 10-digit numbers (e.g., turning Vonage’s click2call into (cli) ck2-call).
  • A few small memory leak fixes, thanks to the Clang Static Analyzer.
  • Updated reverse lookup URL list (some providers had consolidated or changed their URL format).
  • Bug fix: handle NCID servers specified by IP address instead of hostname.
  • Bug fix: properly reconnect to the NCID server on wireless network changes (SCNetworkReachability behavior is…interesting, and I had only tested 0.9.14 with wired networks).

Once again, if you’re wondering “why use NCID when I already have caller ID?” If you have SIP service (e.g., Vonage) at home, NCID/NCIDpop gives you caller ID on the first ring on every computer display in the place, which can save a lot of unnecessary running around to try to find the phone.

Of course, it’s just in time for me to consider giving up phone service at home as I’ll be spending much less time there in the fall. I’m overdue for a new mobile phone, but I can’t decide between an iPhone 3G S, the Palm Pre or perhaps waiting for a future Android device. I haven’t played with the Palm Pre yet; that’s on my schedule for next week.

Also: Jython 2.5 (final) was released today! It’s been a long while coming. We’ve still got a lot of work to do, particularly on performance and Java integration.

9 comments on “NCIDpop 0.9.15 released”

  1. 16 June 2009 | 3:04 PM

    I’m also trying to decide on getting a new phone or not. I haven’t played with a Palm Pre yet either — hoping to find some time this weekend. I don’t really think Android is in the picture for me — so it’s a matter of either sticking with my original iPhone, upgrading to a 3G S, or switching to Palm.


  2. Steffen
    3 September 2009 | 5:02 PM

    It works fine but the name will not found on the address book
    I store my phone numbers in a international format like +49 151 17199955.
    The phone sends only 0151 17199955 because it is a call from my own country… some other apps can recognize that (CIDTrackerX iE.)… BUT your app is more smarter…. Maybe you can fix that?

    Thank you in advance

  3. sumpf
    2 December 2009 | 2:32 AM

    I have the same problem as Steffen! Looking forward to a solution… But it is a very good app so far!

  4. 9 December 2009 | 12:46 PM

    I’ll see about adding support for 0-prefixed numbers in the next version.

  5. 4 January 2010 | 10:59 AM

    Please try NCIDpop 0.9.16b1:

    It should address this issue, among others. Let me know if you have any issues with it. (Make sure to quit the old version of NCIDpop first.)

  6. 11 January 2010 | 8:08 PM

    NCIDpop 0.9.16 (final) is now available:

    Enjoy and let me know if you have any problems with it.

  7. Gerd
    9 June 2010 | 6:18 AM

    I installed Rev. 0.9.16 on my Mac and found it working. How I can delete the old call history? I deleted al call data in my easybox (the NCID server) but data in my list remains.

  8. 9 June 2010 | 7:36 AM

    That’s really strange – NCIDpop does not cache locally. You can try quitting and restarting NCIDpop; that should definitely clear any data it is holding.

  9. Gerd
    9 June 2010 | 9:57 AM

    How to quit an application that’s running in the background? I restarted the Mac twice and the old data still remains. New notifications, even with growl are working well but sometimes there seems to be a small problem with the german date format (calls from future). Maybe the clock in the mobile phone was wrong.

    Notification and listing of german mobile numbers works correctly, the leading 0 is stripped, the user is found in the address book , if therein, as well as it’s listed correctly. But there is a problem with terrestrial numbers which are e.g. coming in the format +49 821 1234567. Such a number is shown as +1(821)123-4567 which is definitively wrong. The +1 must be +49 in germany and the settings from address book are ignored. Normally I set automatic number formatting off, filling the numbers with + and spaces into the address book. I do not use () and – but it’s not so important. It would be a good idea to use the date formatting from the control panel country settings.

    Here a little example for the ingoing ISDN log format in my vodafone DSL-easybox
    09.06.2010/16:31:10 von 082181xxxxx nach 81xxxxx (ISDN MSN 2) über port 1~3. Dauer:00:00:00
    09.06.2010/16:25:36 von 082181xxxxx nach 81xxxxx (ISDN MSN 2) über port 1~3. Dauer:00:00:00
    09.06.2010/16:18:56 von 082180xxxxx nach 81xxxxx (ISDN MSN 1) über port 3. Dauer:00:05:14
    09.06.2010/16:18:53 von 082180xxxxx nach 81xxxxx (ISDN MSN 1) über port 1,3. Dauer:00:00:00
    09.06.2010/16:18:36 von 082181xxxxx nach 81xxxxx (ISDN MSN 2) über port 1~2. Dauer:00:00:00

    09.06.2010/16:31:09 von 81xxxxx (ISDN MSN 1) nach 81xxxxx über port 3. Dauer:00:00:00
    09.06.2010/16:25:35 von 81xxxxx (ISDN MSN 1) nach 81xxxxx über port 3. Dauer:00:00:00

Leave a reply