Archives / Search ›

Photos from my birthday are up. Most of the photos we had taken at the restaurant turned out to be unsalvagable.

Danger's hiptop developer wiki is up now, for real—there's a “wiki” tab on the main developer page to replace the previously-inactive forum. The software behind both it and the Rileys wiki is Sakana, which I discussed yesterday.

I've started hacking on Sakana—RSS support will be my first project, likely, so I can subscribe to the recent changes on as I already do with CocoaDev. An initial source release of Sakana should be coming soon.

iAppViews: Apple's iApp Style Tables and Outlines. “Some of Apple's iApps, such as iPhoto, and Safari, have tables and outlines with alternating blue backgrounds. This appearance is not trivial to duplicate.” I spent many hours getting my own NJRTableView to do this properly, and a recent email I received from Nat recounted his problems doing the same for NSOutlineView. (Thanks, Nat, for sending me a follow-up email with a pointer to this site.)

The Rileys wiki is up and running, though mainly content-free for the moment. Its appearance is pretty much the way I want it, and the functionality will continue to improve. I showed it to my father after dinner tonight and he took to it immediately—not that that guarantees he'll contribute in future, but it's a good sign.

The wiki is about 2500 lines of Python with Medusa as its HTTP server. In order to provide a sane URL, it runs behind Apache using mod_proxy_http. I had some problems initially because of a bug in Apache httpd-2.1-dev, which causes ProxyPass to not work properly if the proxied server supports connection keep-alive. There's no problem with 1.3.x, the version which every other sane person uses. :-)

(Just discovered is a Mac—since I saw an error message from port 16080, Apple's traditional WebPerformanceCache port. Of course I could have checked the HTTP headers, but that’s too easy. Neat!) is up, sort of. At some point I'll install a real content management system, probably something lightweight and wiki-like, but this is better than nothing, and I'll be able to reuse my work on the style sheets. Trying some prototyping in Dreamweaver and Fireworks MX, since I had copies sitting around—definitely these versions are a lot less annoying to use than earlier versions. Integration between the tools still leaves a lot to be desired, and I can't get Fireworks to output transparent PNGs no matter what I do. (Not that it matters since WinIE6 still doesn't support them). Fireworks is a lousy Mac OS X citizen, consuming 10–15% of my CPU time even with no windows open.

‹ Newer Posts  •  Older Posts ›